If you've lost your appetite today, don't worry! I think I have it!
THE ORIGINAL CHEESEBURGER SOUP
- 2 pound ground beef
- 2-4 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots (I’ve also used chopped and julienne)
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 tsp garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock (Reserve ¼ cup for Step 6)
- 1 cup milk
- ½-1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 Tbsp tapioca or arrowroot powder (or all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: 1 tsp of Basil and/or 1 tsp Parsley
- Brown the ground beef in a pot. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot 2T olive oil, onion and garlic. Saute until tender.
- Add broth, diced potatoes, carrots, and celery. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add browned hamburger into the pot.
- Using a fork and a small bowl, add 1 Tbsp of starch or flour to 1 cup of milk and dissolve the starch into the milk. Pour the mixture into the pot and slowly heat the soup on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese and continuously stir to melt the cheese into the soup.